In some jurisdictions a marriage certificate is the official record that two people have undertaken a marriage ceremony. In some other jurisdictions, a marriage license serves a dual purpose of granting permission for a marriage to take place and then recording the fact that it has done so.
Attestation is required for the following purposes
- To bring spouse.
- Adding spouse name in the passport.
- To admit wife for delivery in the hospital.
- To apply for passport for children.
- To cohabit with a member of the opposite sex.
- Attestation from country where the marriage was solemnized.
- Attestation from country where the family visa is being applied.
It is mandatory to get the marriage certificate attested in case the couple wishes to live together in a foreign country as this attested document is proof of the marriage being legalized by the country of origin.